Find out more about Resource Management Software
What is Resource Management Software?
Resource management software is a kind of project management solution. It enables companies to track their staff members’ availability, identify the skills they possess, and then assign them to suitable projects. This software is normally used by larger companies as they need to manage employee workloads effectively and identify suitable workers for specific projects. For instance, a big software development company can utilize resource management software to choose a team of full-stack, front-end, and back-end developers who have the required skill sets for big projects. With this solution, they can avoid the time-consuming task of manually identifying and assigning the right employees for specific jobs. Start by checking our leader Wrike, and other recommended solutions in this category.
Top 10 Most Popular Resource Management Software
Best Resource Management Software
How To Choose The Best Resource Management Software
Resource management software helps organizations identify the right people for their big projects. There are tons of quality tools in this category. So, how do you select the best resource management software for your company’s needs? We make your job easier with this buyer’s guide that tells you the factors and features you should look for.
Get to know each product with free trial
We recommend you start your search for the best resource management software by trying out the free trials of popular apps. This will enable you to test drive each platform’s key features and understand if the tool is fitting for your needs. Visit the websites of the following applications and check if you can sign up for a free trial: Wrike, Deltek Vision, Fieldbook, Ganttic, and Mavenlink.
Resource management software is generally used by large companies with more than 500 staff members. However, smaller firms in technical fields such as engineering and software development can also utilize this platform. Smaller companies that are not in a technical industry can invest in a conventional project management solution.
Examples of Resource Management Software
- Wrike: An online project management tool that gives you complete control and visibility over your work. This end-to-end solution is useful for your projects from initiation to completion. With this tool, project managers can organize project needs, create plans, and visualize schedules using Gantt charts. Plus, it is easy to adjust project plans to changing needs and notify the team about the changes.
- Deltek Vision: A popular project-based ERP product that gives companies complete visibility into the project lifecycle. It can be deployed on-premise or in the cloud. The software combines business development, time/expense management, project management, resource management, and project accounting in one solution. It provides essential project data in real-time via graphical dashboards, alerts, and customizable reports.
- Fieldbook: Helps consultants, agencies, and startups graduate from spreadsheets by enabling them to easily create a suitable tracking database for their needs. You can track all your resources, tasks, projects, and clients in the way you want. Organize your data with advanced filtering, grouping, and sorting. Key features include: detail views, saved searches, formulas and reports, and integrations.
- Ganttic: Planning software for project portfolio management and resource scheduling. The product offers interactive Gantt charts and a graphical interface. It enables real-time collaboration with your team members. Plus, the tool helps you to effortlessly schedule people, projects, equipment, and facilities.
- Mavenlink: Combines resource planning, time tracking, and project management in one product. It offers an intuitive platform to help you manage all project and team activities. The team collaboration tool enables you to prioritize and centralize all financials, tasks, activities, and conversations in one accessible location. Top features include: automated insights, advanced search, professional and creative service automation, and benefits and financial management.
Types of Resource Management Software
Resource management software is a category of project management software. A related type is resource planning software.
The two common versions of this platform are on-premise that can be downloaded on desktops and cloud-hosted which gives you access from anywhere.
Key Features of Resource Management Software
- Timesheet management. Allows you to track the time spent by a team member on project work. Managers can calculate the overtime work done on a project. The automatic notification feature notifies the manager when a team member logs into the platform.
- Document template. Enables managers to simplify the repetitive task of resource management. You can utilize a prepared template that has all the needed resources and tasks for new projects. The document template eliminates the task of data re-entry.
- Request automation. Simplifies the work of selecting employees for suitable assignments based on their availability and skills.
- Knowledge base. Some solutions include community channels and a stock of white papers to help project and HR managers understand the types of employees they need for technical jobs. These tools contain easily understandable definitions of technical roles and skills to help managers with their hiring and assigning tasks.
- Staffing forecasting. Collects internal data on product launches, product development, sales etc. to enable companies to plan for future staffing requirements based on that info. For instance, if sales is expected to increase in the future, the tool would advise managers to hire the required number of sales agents.
- Skills and availability tracking. Allows you to identify staff with desired skills who are available to work on projects. You need to input employee skills and schedules and create a profile.
Benefits of Resource Management Software
- Enhanced efficiency. Minimize the time needed to select employees for suitable projects and ensure the right workers get the job. Reduce the time it takes to staff projects and ensure that the right people are on the job.
- Properly distributed work. Look at each employee’s workflow and make sure no one gets swamped with too many or tasks or with too few.
- Improved visibility into projects. Resource management software offers better insight into your company’s operations compared to regular project management platforms. This is because it helps you identify which skills are needed most and provides greater visibility into which employees are getting delegated to which projects.
- Avoid scheduling conflicts. You get real-time visibility on work allocation. This helps you to avoid conflicts and delays that raise costs and create greater stress in the company.
Data and Visibility
Project managers are required to pay a lot of attention to financial issues. Therefore, resource management tools are being designed to provide better access to data to help managers understand the status of projects and meet the decided metrics on financial performance. The software helps organizations access the data they require to view project status which enables them to proactively resolve risks and issues before they bloom into major ones.
Resource managers need a good understanding of the demand created by sales opportunities. They need to plan for current as well as future projects. The latest resource management tools help them to get visibility on the pipeline and effortlessly collaborate with the services and sales units to enable the company to meet client needs.
Poor Resource Capacity Planning
Organizations need a good understanding of the resource capacity they need to deliver a project successfully. The problem is many organizations are unable to measure their capacity which hinders effective resource planning. This issue can be resolved by investing in a purpose-built resource management tool.
Not Evaluating Resource Risks
Typically, companies evaluate risks related to technology, process, and unexpected events. However, they are usually lackadaisical about assessing risks related to resources. The resources manager should spend time to create a comprehensive list of all possible risks and opportunities, and then use resource management software to properly allocate resources.
List of Resource Management Software Companies
Page last modified
Our Score Read More
FinancesOnline makes use of our unique SmartScore™ approach to evaluate all the services in the Resource Management Software category in orded to help you decide on the best possible app. It takes into consideration the following aspects: cruscial modules, collaboration possibilities, customization, integration, simplicity, customer support, how secure a software is, support for mobile devices, ratings in media. Currently, Wrike is the leader in this category and we gave it the highest score in our tests. Following thorough research and analysis it had the best results among its competitors and our reviewers strongly suggest that you consider it as one of the options for your business.
User Satisfaction Read More
An overview of general user satisfaction with the software in our Resource Management Software category based on our unique algorythm that collects user reviews, comments and opinions across a wide range of social media platforms in order to help you make an informed purchase decision.
Pricing Read More
Each vendor in the Resource Management Software category will provide a different group of pricing plans for its service and every plan will include a varied group of tools. Below we list the overal pricing for the most affordable package offered for each service. Keep in mind that advanced features may cost extra.
Devices Supported Read More
An overview of what type of devices and operating systems are supported by all B2B tools in the Resource Management Software category, including mobile platforms and web-based solutions.
Laguages Supported Read More
Learn which languages and geographies are supported by the popular B2B apps in the Resource Management Software category, including spftware aimed at international markets and created for multi-cultural teams of employees.
Pricing Model Read More
Find out what pricing models are provided by the vendors in the Resource Management Software category to check which one matches your business preferences and expenses best. Be aware that certain apps can provide free or freemium accounts for you to test first.
Customer Types Read More
An overview of which kinds of companies a given B2B platform in the Resource Management Software category aims for, from small businesses and non-profits to large enterprises.
Deployment Read More
An overview of what styles of product deployement are offered by every B2B vendor in the Resource Management Software category. While most of modern SaaS solutions are cloud-based there are solutions may offer an on-site deployment model too.